Cheap Tablets: Buy a Tablet on a Budget
This tablet buying guide was last updated February 14th 2014.
This page is dedicated for those of you who aren’t necessarily interested in the best tablets. You’re primary concern when buying a tablet is the price – and you want your tablets to be as cheap as possible without being made out of paper mache.
On this page you will find the best cheap tablets available to buy online today.
However, I think it’s important we define what we consider a “cheap tablet” first. You’re not going to find any $50 knock-off tablets made by underground Chinese shops here. What you will find is cheap, brand name tablets that deliver the best value on the market.
Value is the key word here. If you want to literally see the cheapest tablets on the market, sorted from cheapest to most expensive, click here. Otherwise, read on for the best value you can buy today.
3 Must-Know Tips When Buying a Cheap Tablet
3. Cheaper isn’t ALWAYS better. You’re here to buy a cheap tablet, we know. Just keep in mind sometimes spending an extra $50 can mean keeping your tablet for an extra year. Keep that in mind.
2. Find out WHY the tablet is so cheap. If you’re looking for a discount tablet right off the bat, you’re already aware that you’re probably not going to get cutting edge technology you would from a new tablet, but it’s always good to know why you’re getting such a low price. Last season’s model? No problem, but good to know.
1. Does it do everything you need it to? Don’t sacrifice usability for a few bucks.
Cheap Tablets for Every Budget – Value Buys
Here’s what you’ve been waiting for… the complete cheap tablet breakdown.
Here you will find the top cheap tablets available online today, for every budget. Learn about the pros and cons of each price tier to make buying your tablet easier.
Cheap Tablets Under $300
Value, value, value. For $300 or less you are getting a mid-tier tablet that will perform just as well as the majority of tablets out there. This budget will get you a good Android tablet. iPads are out of the question at this price point, but you already knew that when you went searching for cheap tablets.
3. Google Nexus 7 (7″) 32GB Tablet
Easily one of the most popular cheap Android tablets under $300, the Nexus 7 is an awesome option for anybody who owns an Android phone and is already accustom to using an Android device.
A must-have for Android smartphone users, still a good buy otherwise.
- Very fair pricing for the latest 2013 edition
- Beautiful display at such a cheap price makes us happy
- Double the storage space compared most tablets around this price range
Click here to buy the Google Nexus 7, 7″, 32GB tablet.
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8″) 16GB Tablet
Yet another one of our recommended cheap android tablets.
A fan favorite, the Galaxy Tab 3 picks off where the Galaxy 2 left off as one of the most popular cheap tablets on the market.
Just like the Nexus 7, this is perfect for Android users already familiar with the interface, and very easy to learn if you’re brand new to it.
- This is the slightly-bigger 8″ edition Galaxy Tab 3 that includes a faster processor, and newer software than the smaller Tab 3 one listed below
- Upgradable storage storage space thanks to the SD card slot
- Includes 3 months free Hulu premium and $10 Google Play credit
Click here to buy the 8″ Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 16GB tablet.
1. Kindle Fire HDX 7″ 16GB Tablet
If you’re a regular reader you’ll know we’re big on the Kindle line of tablets.
Amazon has developed a line of products that you NEED to check out – including this cheap tablet PC, the Kindle Fire HDX.
The Kindle Fire HDX is perfect for family use, or for anybody who needs an easy-to-use tablet with minimal required maintenance.
- Buy the “Special Offers” edition to save some money if you don’t mind seeing advertisements when the device is sleeping
- Amazon Prime could be a worthy investment if you go with the HDX
- One of the TOP value tablet available today
Click here to buy the 7″ Kindle Fire HDX 16GB tablet.
Cheap Tablets Under $200
$200 gives you just enough to buy a tablet that covers all the basics. Don’t expect any cutting edge features, but you will be able to do all the standard tablet activities.
Download apps, play games, browse the internet, all that fun stuff is STILL possible with as little as a $200 investment into these cheap tablets.
Here are the best cheap tablets under $200:
3. Kindle Fire HD 7″ 8GB Tablet
Similar to the (less) cheap Kindle Fire HDX listed above, but about a year older.
Very easy to use, perfect for first time tablet owners, this is a recording yada yada yada…
- Older tablet, but still viable for basic use of apps, internet, games and all that good stuff
- Awesome customer support available if needed
- Yada yada yada
Click here to buy the 7″ Kindle Fire HD 8GB tablet.
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7″) 16GB Tablet
This is the older, 7-inch version of the Galaxy Tab 3 listed above.
This 7″ edition of the Galaxy Tab 3 generally has weaker components all around, but it should still pass the bar for basic family use.
- Essentially the “light” version of the 8″ Galaxy Tab 3
- About $100 cheaper than the 8″ version
- Although we believe the changes to the 8″ version are worth the money, if you NEED to cut back, this 7″ model is still worth considering
Click here to buy the 7″ Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 16GB tablet.
1. Google Nexus 7 (7″) 16GB Tablet
The EXACT same tablet listed above, just half the storage space. This isn’t a big deal, it just means you can’t carry your entire media collection on your tablet.
This is the best cheap tablet you can get at this price. This is a great deal.
- Likely the newest technology you can afford at this price point
- Likely the latest software you will find at this price point
- Good all around tablet perfect for anybody in the family – including you!
Click here to buy the 7″ Google Nexus 7, 16GB tablet.
The Best Cheap Tablet Under $100
Now you’re pushing it…
We were only able to find a SINGLE tablet that met our expectations at the cheap price of under $100.
Lenovo Ideatab A1000 7-Inch 8GB Tablet
The Lenovo Ideatab is the cheapest you’re going to get while still buying from a trusted brand.
This is a functional tablet that runs an (older) version of Android, but it can still serve as a first tablet to a lucky someone on a budget.
- It’s under $100, and it works
- Runs Android, not a knock off operating system
- It’s under $100, and it works
Click here to buy the Lenovo Ideatab A1000 7″ 8GB tablet.
BONUS: The Best Cheap Tablet for Kids
If you’re buying a tablet for a toddler who you can’t yet trust with a fully functioning tablet, the Leapfrog Leap Pad 2 is a great buy.
We don’t recommend many cheap tablets for kids, because that is essentially code for “an inexpensive tablet” – there are many of those listed on this very page.
The Leap Pad 2 is a TRUE cheap tablet for kids that any child between the ages of 3-11 will love.
It comes in very cheap at under $100, and it’s built strong enough to handle play time with your kid(s).
Click here to buy the Leapfrog LeapPad 2 tablet.